Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Making History!

On Monday of this week, I helped make history! Doesn't that sound impressive? Well, I'm afraid full disclosure brings it down a notch or two - at least regarding my participation.

My part consisted mostly of sleeping or lingering somewhere between sleep and LaLa Land due to an Altru Hospital Cocktail Special. I need to tell you "cocktail special" is my name for the dyes and relaxants used in the Cath Procedure Lab. You may feel as though you've been awake through the entire procedure, but it is likely you've been sleeping at least part of the time and definite that you've been in LaLa Land whenever awake.

The Cath Procedure Lab is where angiogram and heart stent procedures take place. No, this wasn't the first time I've experienced the joys of that lab. In fact, I teased the young cardiologist performing the heart cath and stent placement I had about six weeks ago that I'd been through caths more often than he'd done them. He laughed at that idea and indicated he was older than I thought.

He actually is older than he looks, but I believe my remark about his youthful appearance prompted him to sprout a 'stash. This week he brushed a finger across the 'stash and asked me if he looked older, so I feel fairly confident the little under-nose growth is a result of my comment.

But that is not addressing the historical quality of the latest experience. On Monday the same youthful cardiologist and I met in the Cath Lab again. This time it was for the purpose of restoring circulation to my right leg by opening an extensive occlusion of the artery. Part of this procedure is fairly routine (if any arterial procedure can be called routine), but part of it used a laser inserted through the artery followed by insertion of stents. A laser small enough to insert through an artery and nimble enough to manipulate from the point of insertion is incredible to me!

The laser machine was ordered basically to do my procedure; it was new and a couple of company reps were gowned up and present to witness the event. Additionally, the procedure was revolutionary for this area - the first done in Grand Forks and the doctor also said he thought it was the very first in the state of North Dakota.

That's making history! And I was part of it. But as usual, I probably slept through the most important parts.

A footnote: The procedure went well; it was declared a success. I'm doing well, but very tired (probably due to the cocktail I mentioned as this was a lengthy procedure and I know I got a lot of that cocktail). I'm still moving quite slowly, but since it was done on Monday and this is Wednesday, even that is good progress.

A second footnote: You guessed it. If progress continues in this vein (pun), that young cardiologist and I will be meeting in the Cath Lab soon to repair the circulation to my left leg. This will not be an historical first, but still exciting to me. I pine for the ability to take long walks and for that I need two good legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment