Monday, March 3, 2014

The Little Dragon Named Blingolee



The Little Dragon Named Blingolee

I wrote this little story for my granddaughter several years ago:



So the little dragon named Blingolee crept into Mady's house to see if she was the most beautiful granddaughter.

Quietly, quietly she sneaked up the stairs, awakening no one - not Mom, not Dad, not the brothers. She approached the bedroom door, carefully turned the knob, and eased the door open a crack.

Well, the only thing visible on the bed was a lump under the blankets, not even a pink nose was peeking out! Blingo sighed. What in the world should she do?

"Hmm. I came this far, risking waking the entire family. Should I chance a little more boldness and sneak to the bedside?"

After deliberating for a couple of minutes, she decided to go for it. Easing the door wide open, she stepped carefully into the room, stopped for a minute to watch the breathing lump on the bed. Determining that the lump was still asleep and breathing quietly and evenly, Blingo approached the bed.

Holding her breath, Blingo slowly and carefully lifted the blankets away from Mady's face. Oh, she was so beautiful!

"But pretty is as pretty does," said Blingo. "I wonder if this girl is as pretty inside as she is outside." 

When Mady opened one eye and peered out from her bedding, Blingo realized she had spoken aloud. "Oh, oh, now I'm in trouble," she said, again speaking out loud.

Rubbing her eyes, Mady asked, "Why are you in trouble?"

"We are not to allow humans to see us, and you have just looked upon me," replied Blingo.

"Well," said Mady, "I cannot lie because that is not right."

Blingo's eyes looked sad, but she agreed, "No, good girls do not lie."

"Don't look sad, Little Dragon. No one will ask if I've seen a dragon, so I will not get you in trouble."

"That is very good of you," said Blingo, "but can you really keep a secret? Many little girls cannot."
"Oh, I can," said Mady. "I would not want to get anyone in trouble. Besides, I said I would keep your secret as long as no one asks, so if I told then I would have lied about keeping it -- and I do not lie."

Blingo smiled and said, "Your Grandma Eunice was right. You are her most beautiful granddaughter - both outside and inside!" Then she grinned, "Of course, you are her ONLY granddaughter."

Blingo and Mady both laughed.

Blingo stole quietly out of the house and Mady turned over and went back to sleep.

No one ever asked, so Mady never told her secret and Blingo didn't get in trouble, but she no longer took such risks just to satisfy curiosity.

And though she looked, Blingo never found another granddaughter quite as lovely as Mady.

No comments:

Post a Comment